THE HOWE GARDEN MATURES
The Howe Garden is one of the most beloved gardens at Cheekwood. Thanks to a renovation from The Garden Club of Nashville, visitors today can see the original Wildings Garden, a state-of-the-art rain garden, Mrs. Howe’s Thatched Toolhouse and an endangered stinking cedar (Torreya taxifolia).
WSMV’S BULGER’S BEAT TALKS TO A MASTER THATCHER
Click here to see Terry Bulger’s interview of Master Roof Thatcher Colin McGee.
NBC AFFILIATE, WSMV OF NASHVILLE REPORTS ON THE HOWE GARDEN OPENING
Click here to see the interview with Jane Offenbach, President and CEO of Cheekwood and Lisa Campbell, President of The Garden Club of Nashville on More at Midday.
HISTORY OF THE HOWE GARDEN
Mrs. Howe’s Garden
On sunny, spring Sunday afternoons, after church and Sunday dinner, many a Nashvillian during the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, and even 1960s took a drive over to 1925 East Greenwood Avenue for a look at “Wildings,” the splendid garden of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Howe. The eight acres, filled with dogwoods, redbuds, azaleas and a half-acre of wildflowers, all under a canopy of venerable oaks, beeches, maples, and hickories, was for almost forty years one of Nashville’s most famous gardens, featured in books and magazines and attracting as many as 2,000 visitors a day. Mrs. Howe herself warmly welcomed the visitors she loved so well, offering lemonade and homemade cookies along with a personal tour of the garden.
Harry and Cora Howe were New England transplants who moved to Nashville in the early 1920s, buying property in East Nashville to build their English-style home and develop a garden around it. Harry Howe later wryly recalled that one of the original attractions of the property was that it was free of rocks, but a few short years later, he found himself hauling tons of them home in his 16-cylinder Cadillac. Each had been carefully selected by his wife, who graced the garden with dry stone walls, a rock-edged creek, a naturalistic pond with a stone bridge, a stone garden house and strategically placed boulders, one of them a natural birdbath. And then there were the wildflowers, finally about 135 species of them, most native to Tennessee. In 1929, the Howes opened the garden to the public, and its beauty and fame grew with each passing decade. But gardens, even those that are someone’s lifelong passion, are only fleeting moments in the scroll of time, and so it almost was with “Wildings.” When the Howes died within eighteen months of each other in the mid-60s, there was no way their heirs–Mr. Howe’s devoted former secretary and Mrs. Howe’s loyal former companion–could afford the three gardeners it had taken to keep up “Wildings.” The fortunes of East Nashville had changed, as well, and it was no longer a desirable address for buyers wealthy enough to maintain the extensive grounds.
It seemed as if the garden were doomed, and so it would have been except for Mrs. Howe’s friends in the Garden Club of Nashville, where she had been the long-time treasurer. Two of them approached the Club’s president, Elizabeth Craig Proctor, desperate to rescue Cora Howe’s life’s work. In 1967, Mrs. Proctor persuaded the Board of Directors of Cheekwood, where she was a member of the Botanical Committee, to allow “Wildings” to be moved to Cheekwood if sufficient funds could be raised.
A year later, the amazing operation began. Detailed drawings were made to ensure that the spirit of “Wildings” would be replicated at Cheekwood, and in a snowy December dawn, the garden began its trek–plant by plant, stone by stone to a new home ten miles away. What a scene it must have been. One of Mrs. Howe’s elderly gardeners, Elvin Cantrell, was there, too infirm to dig but able to help direct the others. Charles Ellis, a member of the Cheekwood Botanical Committee, was on hand very early, but not as early as one of Mrs. Howe’s closest friends and fellow Garden Club member, Mrs. Edward Graham. Though 84 years old, Mrs. Graham stayed all day directing the movers. The willing crew dug up dogwoods, cut the garden house in half for transport, loaded boulders, including the one shaped like a birdbath, and dismantled walls. Then they reinstalled it all where we see it today, on a sloping, tree-sheltered half-acre in Cheekwood’s southeast corner. On April 29, 1969, Cheekwood’s brave new tenant was dedicated as the Howe Wildflower Garden; lemonade and home-made cookies were served, just as if Mrs. Howe had been there. The Garden Club of Nashville has continued to support the Howe Garden, underwriting its maintenance and improvement with funds raised by the annual Wildflower Fair, Rare Plant Auction and other activities. Over the past 31 years, the garden has continued to welcome thousands of visitors each year. Its quiet beauty inviting rest and contemplation, and its charming wildflowers teaching an evocative lesson about nature and preservation.
Today, the Howes’ graceful and unpretentious East Nashville home sits hemmed in by dozens of apartment buildings that have consumed the eight acres where “Wildings” once lay. A single stately oak in the front yard is the only ghost of the garden’s former glory. But in the Howe Garden at Cheekwood, the spirit of “Wildings” remains, and perhaps even that of Cora Howe herself. As May Buntin Hill, former member of the Cheekwood Board of Directors and one of the people instrumental in the move of “Wildings” to Cheekwood, said many years later, “I have really seen the wildflower garden grow by leaps and bounds. I think Mrs. Howe would have liked it here.
HOWE GARDEN MISSION STATEMENT
To acknowledge and celebrate the rich design history of the original “Wildings” garden created by Mrs. Harry A. Howe (Cora) in 1922 in East Nashville and moved in 1968 to Cheekwood by the Garden Club of Nashville, a member of the Garden Club of America.
To grow and display in the Howe Garden a selected representation of the native flora of the southeastern United States, including both common and rare species.
To encourage the propagation, distribution, conservation, and use of native plants in the landscape, as well as foster knowledge and appreciation of plants in their native habitats.
The Garden Club of Nashville was responsible in 1968 for the relocation of the late Mrs. Harry A. Howe’s wildflower garden, “Wildings,” given in entirety to The Tennessee Botanical Gardens and Fine Arts Center at Cheekwood. Renamed The Howe Garden at Cheekwood, this unique environment is home to over 40 species of native trees and shrubs and is The Garden Club of Nashville’s ongoing project.
In 1983, The Garden Club of Nashville was awarded The Garden Club of America’s Founders Fund Award to establish a center in The Howe Garden for the Propagation and Distribution of Endangered Species.
The success of this center has provided members of The Garden Club of Nashville the opportunity to be dedicated conservationists and guardians of their natural resources.
GCN RECEIVES COMMUNITY FUND GRANT
Dear Garden Club of Nashville,
Congratulations! We are pleased to inform you that the Board of Directors of The Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee has authorized a discretionary grant to Garden Club of Nashville to restore and reinstall the 1931 Wemyss/Kerrigan iron gates at the entrances to the Howe Garden at Cheekwood. Your organization’s grant was selected from among hundreds of applications. It represents our continuing interest in and support of the fine work you do in addressing the needs of our community. We wish you much success with your work and with your efforts to attract additional sources of support. We are grateful that you took the time to apply; without good requests, we can’t make good grants. Thank you for thinking of The Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee.
RENOVATION PROGRESS GALLERIES
Mrs. Howe’s Garden at Cheekwood reopens after a year long renovation.
Thanks to Mr. Jim Cheek, we now have many of the original photos of Mrs. Howe’s Garden. We can now see that or renovation closely resembles Mrs. Howe’s Garden “Wildings”.
The Garden Club of Nashville is delighted to announce the renovation of our beloved Howe Garden.
The Howe Garden began being renovated by the Carter Group in June 2011 and will open on April 18, 2012.
We at GroWild are honored to be a part of history and look forward to seeing this garden as it matures through the years.
These grasses will provide sustainable beauty to Cheekwood. We at Samara Farms are both honored and excited to be a part of the Howe Garden project.
We needed a few boulders to create the perfect garden. Wade Rick went on a hunt!
The gates contain 12 double faced, square bronze panels for a total of 48 panels. Every panel features a different flower, sculpted in wrought iron relief. Mrs. Wemyss chose cultivated and wildflowers in her garden as subject matter for the bronze panels.
Brother and Sister, Billy Wemyss and Peggy Conner, flipped a coin to see who would get the much beloved gates. They flipped three times with Mrs. Conner winning two out of the three flips. Jointly they decided that the best home for the gates was the Garden Club of Nashville’s Howe Garden at Cheekwood. The gates were moved to Cheekwood in May of 2002 with the Garden Club funding the relocation and restoration of the gates.
Aaron Durnin is restoring the Wemyss Gates.
In 1949, it seemed safe to say that Mrs. Howe’s Thatched Tool House was the only one in Tennessee to get a new roof. Well, 62 years later, it is getting another by The Roof Thatchers.
In December of 2009, The Garden Club of Nashville in conjunction with Cheekwood began propagating the Torreya Taxifolia Tree located in the Howe Garden.
Using the most advanced ideas of how to manage on-site storm water, this area will become a showcase of how to positively impact the environment by recharging our ground water systems.